July 5, 2011

Did I tell you I love music?


I know, almost everybody says they love music. Those that say they don't are (thankfully) few and far between. But I can remember as a very young boy being painfully shy about letting anyone know just how much some of those pop songs on the radio meant to me.

My parents loved music. They played it around the house, went to see shows, Mom was an accomplished pianist and was already teaching by the time she was a teenager. And we lived in a musically rich part of the world, right across the Mersey River from Liverpool. I actually got to take the Ferry Cross the Mersey while Gerry & the Pacemakers had the song on the charts. I think there was an even bigger band out from there at the time too…

It took a long time before I could tell people I was "crazy about music". Sure, I said I "liked" it and even sang along, but I can't remember any of my little friends freaking out when Windy by The Association came on, or needing to get away from any other noise when Mary Hopkin started singing Temma Harbour or Those Were the Days.

I knew I was… different.

By the time I reached my teens I had found my kindred spirits. And for the rest of my life (so far) I continue to gravitate towards those to whom music isn't just a part of their lives. Music IS life.

Next time, some of my favourite songs About music.





No comments: